Hizbul Tahrir (HT)
by Khalid Kazim
Hizbul tahrir (HT) is a political
sect with few Islamic point of views. They see to bringing back
the Islamic rulings-Khilafah-(as they proclaim). Due to this ambiguity,
many views, that they consider Islamic, were announced by their
founder and by their leaders. These views, as we shall see, contradicts
Islamic views according to how the companions and their successors-the
salaf- understood it.
The founder of this sect is a Palestinian
called shaikh Taqiul Deen Al Nabahani who was born in Haifa, Palestine
in 1909. He studied in his village, continued at Al Azhar, Cairos
scientific house, then returned to work as a teacher, then as a
judge in many Palestinian cities. After the invasion of the Israelis
in 1948, he moved with his family to Lebanon. He started this sect
in 1952, and became its leader. He produced few books, papers, and
fliers which are counted as the roots for this sect. Since they
keep most views and news secret, it is difficult to point out their
leaders. Any how, shaikh Al Nabahani dies in 1979; and then Abdul
Qadim Zallume, from Palestine as well, took over. He wrote a book
called "This is how Khilafa was destroyed". Officially,
the sects headquarters was established in Lebanon. Shaikh
Ahmad Al Da`oor was responsible for sect members in Jordan, and
Abdul Rahman Al Maliki (who wrote "the punishment" book)
Thoughts And Beliefs: -
- The goal is to rise a Muslim country.
They start with the Arabic speaking countries, and then the non-
Arabic speaking ones.
- The stress is on political issues
first, and Islam second. They make sure that the followers of
their sect understand this fact, and work by it.
- The human brain is given more
weight than it should. It is known that the human brain are two
types - Muslim and atheist -, and the Muslim brain are two types
- scholar and the ignorant one, and the scholar brain are two
types - "working with the knowledge scholar" and "non-working
with the knowledge" scholar. The ignorant has to follow and
ask the scholar as Allah SWT says : "and ask the knowledgeable
ones if ye know not". The true Muslim, therefore, must put
his brain to what Allah and His prophet say; not to put the thoughts
above both of them. In this area, the HT failed. One look at the
book called "Imans path" (Tareequl Imaan) which
was written by Al Nabahani would reveal how this sect have been
affected by Al Mutazilah thoughts in putting the brains
above Quran and Sunnah. They let their brains control Quran and
Sunnah, and believe in what seems right to them.
- The sect acts in teaching their
members, and to plant the political thoughts into the brains of
their followers. In doing so, they "take the millions and
educate them altogether, and teach them Islam. They have to stand
in front of the crowds to answer their questions, clear their
doubts, and stand by them to melt them into Islam" - Essential
understanding book, p.78. Further, in doing so, they do political
work "by documenting occurrences and facts, by comparing
both with Islam and its rulings, and to gain trust of people",
Heated call book, p.96.
- The philosophy of the HT is that
every nation lives within two thick boundaries, the boundary of
creed and thoughts, and the boundary of laws that govern peoples
relations with one another. Therefore, if a nation wants to change
its government, they have to concentrate on the outside thoughts
(called the outside boundary). This is, then, followed by ousting
- The sect divides work into three
steps as follows :-
- First step includes the ideological
war where the sect makes their thoughts the one to be taken.
- Second step includes the reaction
with the nations by culture and politics in order to complete
the exchange of atheist thoughts that was brought in by foreign
- Third step is to take over power
of the Muslim nation. They will ask whoever they see fit to help
them with this take over.
- The sect, in the beginning, put
for itself 13 years to reach power, but this failed. So, they
set another 30 years to reach power, but this, too, failed.
- They proclaim that humans
do not have spiritual feelings or bodily pleasures, but have instincts
that must be fulfilled.
- Shaikh Taqiul Deen Al Nabahani
saw that the problems with raising a Muslim nation are as follows:-
- Presence of thoughts that are
not related to Islam.
- Presence of educational teaching
methods put by the imperialism.
- Keeping this educational methods
- Thinking big of other sciences
more than its worth.
- The distance between ruling body
of Muslims, and the Muslims themselves. This is clear in politics
and in monetary matters. The ruling body in Muslim countries depend
on democracy, and not on Islam.
- The thoughts of the Muslims is
directed towards patriotism, nationalism, and communism.
- Islamic nations do not live an
- It is prohibited on the sects
members to think of graves tortures and the appearance of
the lair messiah. Whoever think these nonsense is in great mischief.
- The leaders of this
sect see that they should not enter into asking to do good, and
prevent evil-doings because it may interfere with their present
work. These will be done later when the Islamic nation starts.
- The sect has a constitution that
is made up of 187 sections waiting to be implemented whence the
Islamic state starts. The constitution, however, is far from reality.
- In the beginning, the sect concentrated
its efforts on spreading in Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon; then to
other Islamic countries. Now, they have spread their sects in
non-Muslim countries such as Germany, Austria, and Britain.
- They use the word "state"
to name the countries they work in. Every "state" is
chaired by a committee called "states committee"
which is formed from 3-10 members. All "state committees"
follow the central leadership office.
- They used to have a newspaper
called "Al hadharah" (Modernization) that used to be
published in Beirut, Lebanon.
- The founder of this sect, shaikh
Al Nabahani, had nationalistic thoughts. He published a book in
1950 called "Arabs letters" where he explained
how the Arabs should be leaders in the first place, then other
- He was in contact with the "Ikhwan
group" in Jordan, but later decided to start his own sect.
He was asked by many to change his views (such as Shaikh Sayyed
Qutb), but shaikh Al Nabahani refused; and therefore Shaikh Sayyed
Qutb said his famous sentence : "Let them they will end from
where we started".
- They get in trouble most of the
time due to their aggressive behaviors towards people who live
with them and due to their ideas to reach governments. This made
rulers keep an eye on them, and imprison them or destroy them.
Their thoughts are limited in changing governments, and they use
some parts of Islamic teachings that fits them for this matter
(as will be seen).
Islamically Speaking: -
- The sects limited Islamic
education make them think that educating people of their goals
will make them interact with them, and will help the sect into
reaching their goals and power. They forgot Allahs Sunnah
in testing people who call for Islam, and forgot the realities
of thousand obstacles that faces them.
- They organized verses and sentences
according to having definite clues or speculative clues. They
said that if one finds a verse in the Holy Quran which is definite,
but has speculative meanings; then it should not be taken into
creed. The reverse is true (no definite clues, but has correct
meanings). This was not the understanding of the salaf, as was
pointed out in the beginning. This is found in their older books,
even though they are trying to change it now.
- On the same token, they say that
prophets hadith should be the same, and further, it should
come from many, not just one narrator (i.e. it has to be coming
by "tawator" not "aahaad"). This means that
aahaad hadiths are not taken into their Islamic belief. We know
that, for example, prophet Mohammed PBUH sent many messengers
alone to Yemen in order to spread the word of Islam (Ali Bin Abi
Taalib, Muaadh Bin Jabal, and Abi Mousa Al Ashari).
He, PBUH, told Muaadh (alone) : "Let be the first thing
you tell those people is to bear witness that there is no god
but Allah". Who doubts this first belief in Islam ? No one.
Did the message of Islam reach the Yamanis ? Yes. Are they accountable
if they do not believe in Allahs Oneness ? Yes. But, according
to the beliefs of HT, the Yamanis are not accountable. The reason
is that the companion Muaadh Bin Jabal went alone to Yemen.
He might be forgetful, he might be a lair, or he may make a mistake.
Was this the belief of Al salaf ? No. Allah SWT says : "They
follow only jest". Where did this idea come from ? the closest
ones who believe this way are the Khawaarijs and the Mutazilah.
There was a person from HT who went to Japan to spread the sects
beliefs there. One of the sections he talked about was that he
does not believe in the aahaad hadiths, and that the Muslims made
a mistake in this area (he was trying to get the Japanese sympathy).
Among the audience, there was a smart Japanese student who told
this HT member to return to where he came from, and come back
with many members of HT sect because he is alone (singular), and
what he is saying could be a lie, fiction, or that he made a mistake.
- The sect came up with
many legislatures (Fatwah) which contradicted Islam. Of these
- To look at porno pictures is permitted.
- To kiss a foreign woman with or
without lust is permitted.
- Women could be congressmen, and
non-Muslims could be members in the congress.
- Women could wear tight trousers
and wigs, and can disobey her husband any time she wishes to.
- A Muslim country leader could
be a non-Muslim, and the Muslim country may pay taxes to non-Muslim
- Muslims can fight under leadership
of non-Muslim country with its soldiers.
- No prayers for the Muslim space
man. No prayers nor fasting for the north and south poles
- Jailing 10 years for the one who
marries those who Allah forbade to marry.
- One could fly, drive, or use the
ship for traveling as long as the contract is made with a foreign
countrys vessel company. But one should not make a contract
with a Muslim country because they are not good to make contracts
- And many more.
Some Of Their Publications :-
- Political moves encyclopedia (2 parts) - Fathi Yakan - 1983.
- Al Dousiyyah - Sects main book.
- This is how khilafah was destroyed - Abdul Qadeem Zallum
- Contemporary Islamic thoughts - Ghazi Al Tawbah - 1969.
- Palestinian encyclopedia - Milan, Italy - 1984.
- The way to Muslims group - Hussain Jabir - 1984.
- Problems with the call and callers to Islam - Fathi Yakan -1974.
- Constitutional points given to Al Khomeini and expert committee - 1979.
- Many books by their leader, Al Nabahani, including - Islamic thoughts, Islamic order, ruling in Islam, understanding HT politics, sect body, point of start, the thought book, and man others.
- And finally, a small HT booklet, published in Arabic on May 9th, 1985, which explains the goals and policies of the sect. Some points are chosen for the reader to think about. They start, on page 5, to say that HT is political sect. Politics is its work, and Islam is its base (should be Islam is its work). This is mentioned many times in the booklet, but on p.28; it is mentioned clearly that they take from Islam as much as they see fit for their sects ideologies. On p. 25, it says that the sects work is not to educate or guide !!! On p.26, it says that Islamic creed is a brain creed; i. e. whatever is not acceptable by the brain, it is not taken into belief. This, as we explained, is their belief, and the booklet is full of such things.
MAY ALLAH SHOW
THEM THE RIGHT PATH, AND GUIDE US ALL.