Welcome to the Muslim Web Site Network
One of the most amazing aspects of the Internet is that anyone who uses it can build his own web-site for free. There are hundreds of companies which offer free space for this purpose, and it is a great chance for ordinary Muslims to spread the message of Islam to all corners of the Earth.
May Allah reward the thousands of Muslims who have already taken advantage of this extraordinary opportunity to share Islam with the world. Ameen
Most if not all of the links below are for information purposes only. We have tried as much as possible to provide links to free downloadable software to aid you in your web page design.
Let us know if you have found any other sites in your travels around the internet or if you have also found some sites not mentioned here please let the Team at Muslim Web Network know.
Designing Your Own Website
There are a lot of web editors out there. The important thing to remember is to find one that works best for you. These days you can create HTML pages in anything from Microsoft WORD to Allaire's HomeSite editor to NetObjects Fusion. Most are just a matter of preferences and what works best for you.
We have selected the easiest program we have found for creating web pages - it is FREE and you can download it directly from our site. Insha Allah. We have included more information below.
- WYSIWYG Web Builder - Version 2.5.1:
Web Builder 2.x is a WYSIWYG (What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get) program used to create web pages. WYSIWYG means that the finished page will display exactly the way it was designed.
- The program generates HTML (HyperText Markup Language) tags while you point and click on desired functions; you can create a web page without learning HTML.
- Just drag and drop objects to the page position them 'anywhere' you want and when you're finished publish it to your web server (using the build in Publish tool). Web Builder gives you full control over the content and layout of your web page.
For more information and specs about the above web builder program please visit the official Web Builder Site . This site includes written tutorials (which are already in the downloadable program) Video tutorials for a more detailed tutorial.
If you like WYSIWYG editors, then I suggest you also get a true HTML editor to compliment it so that you can keep control over your code. Here is a list of several editors, a link to information about each one and a download link.
- Jmk Html Author Author has just released new version. Added many new features. (1.5MB)
- Siteaid: Another HTML editor. Includes some wizards (for the HTML challenged among us). I haven't tried it but it looks interesting. SiteAid provides numerous helpers to make mundane tasks such as body attribute selection, tables, frames, lists, links and images an absolute breeze to insert. They may switch to shareware. (2.3MB)
- Webcrafter: Webcrafter has wizards for things like the webpage itself and frames. Plus, preferences to set it up the way you want, including custom buttons on the toolbar. Built in browser and FTP. (936KB)
- SIZEGENWIZ Enersoft SiteGenWiz is a stand alone Web Site Generator. Design your own web pages without any HTML knowledge. Update and even redesign your site at any time with just a few clicks. (2.5MB)
- MATIZHA SUBLIME: Code inspector, Project manager, DHTML Menu creation wizard, HTML and visual design, more. (1.8MB)
- Wolf Web Editor Pro: Supports: HTML, PHP, JAVA SCRIPT, VBSCRIPT, PASCAL, SQL and XML. Quick codes, insert menu and options menu. You can even make your own code list and use it in the quick code. Free for personal use. (5.5MB)
- DHE Editor: With DHE Web Editor you can draw your own Dynamic Cross-Browser Web Pages without writing a single line of Code. (2.2MB)
Alleycode: Alleycode is an HTML editor with unique features. If you are new to HTML, Alleycode's great tutorial will walk you through your first coding steps... If you are an established coder you will find a refreshing, non-bloated infrastructure with fast and accurate delivery. Beyond HTML, Alleycode's wizardry focuses on PHP and CSS interaction for professional and easy management of your projects. (1.4MB)
- NVU: WYSIWYG editing of pages, making web creation as easy as typing a letter with your word processor. (6.5MB)
This list is obviously not all-inclusive. You can find many shareware versions of webpage editors on the TUCOWS site (The Ultimate Collection Of Winsock Software). Some other popular titles include Hot Dog Professional, Corel Web Designer, HTML Pro, and HotMetal Professional, just to name a few. Find the one you are most comfortable with and have fun!
HTML Help Links
Below are links to several internet sites dedicated to assisting you with webpage design. If you find a site that you feel would make a good addition to our list, please email information about the site and the URL to the Mission Islam Team
- Information about Web Pages plus animations and graphics for your website. Has some good information about web page design. It offers information, graphics, and links to enough resources to get on the internet.
- Bare Bones Guide to HTML: Lists all HTML tags commonly used to create Web pages. The HTML FAQ section answers some of the most common questions about web page design, and the WWW Help Page provides links to resources on developing frames, Java graphics, gif animation, sound, CGI style and colors.
Links to Graphics
What's a webpage without graphics? Graphics spruce up a webpage. Even just a dash of color will make a tremendous difference on an otherwise dull page of text. There are a lot of websites dedicated to providing free graphics. Here are just a few:
- Font and Background Colors. Want to know how one color font will look on a different colored background? Try our Color Picker page. Just click on a button to change the background color and see how all the different color fonts will look on your page! Includes the color names and codes for use in designing your page.
- Bimsans Free Web Graphics Some great backgrounds, buttons, icons and graphics. This site offers sets of graphics for your webpages (i.e. coordinating background, buttons, divider rules, and buttons). Beautiful work, you won't be disappointed!
- The Web Sorcery More beautiful graphics with coordinating sets. This page takes a little while to load, but worth the wait!
- The Clip Art Connection. If you still can't find that perfect graphic image for you page, check out this extensive list of free internet graphics.
- Andy's Art Attack Andy's Art Attack is known as a "One Stop Resource for Web Designers". 100's of graphics and free stuff for your website. Check it out!
- The Color Center A place to design colors for a webpage. Let's you pick your colors and generates the HTML tag for you. Kind of fun, but this is also something that should be available from your HTML editor.
- PaintShop Pro! When you want to design your own graphics, try PaintShop Pro. I design all my graphics using PaintShop Pro by Jasc. The newest version even comes with an Animation Shop to create animated gifs! Download it and try it. It has a short trial period before you have to buy.
- Reptile 2 Reptile allows you to easily produce any combination of wavy, bubbly, organic, big, small, wide, narrow, rough or smooth textures for your Web page backgrounds, or Windows desktop. Very addictive and fun to use!
Thumbnail Image Creator
A Thumbnail Image is a miniature version of your original graphic. Many of these can be placed on a page, and because of their small size, won't affect the download time as much as large graphics. These small images can be made into links to the larger images on another page.
- Easy Thumbnails - 2.8: This is a utility for creating quality thumbnail images and scaled-up or scaled-down copies from a wide range of popular picture formats. You can use slider controls to rotate images and adjust contrast, brightness, sharpness, and quality and preview the results with a built-in viewer.
- Easy Gallery Generator - 2.1: This program takes picture files and build a gallery suitable for
uploading to the Web. This consists of a main page that shows
thumbnails of the original pictures and a page for each individual
- Wolf Web Thumbnail Creator: This program will create thumbnails and HTML sites from your pictures. You select a folder with the pictures you want to use, and the program will make thumbnails and HTML sites of it. The site will show thumbnails, and when you click on a thumbnail, it will show the original picture. Wolf Web Thumbnail Creator will not modify your original pictures. (It copies the original pictures to the output directory.)
General Web Page Building Help Sites
- Tips and Tools: Find detailed tutorials of varying difficulty for planning, using HTML, using digital photography, developing layout and design, and more.
- Web Page Design: This site spells out the components of a good site, complete with examples and screen shots. Use this with your students who are designing pages.
- Web Page Construction: Here are the tools, tips, design ideas, guidelines, and other links to start your school's website.
- Web Page Help: This page offers a great FrontPage Express tutorial, as well as web page design, image insertion, scanning, and website uploading information.
- 1001 Fonts: Download free fonts for Windows and free fonts for Apple Macintosh. All fonts on this site are either freeware or shareware and in the TrueType or PostScript format.
- Fontface: They're everywhere! FontFace.com now has more than 1000 free fonts and the archive grows literally everyday.
- My Fonts: Ever wanted to find a font just like the one used by certain
publications, corporations, or ad campaigns? Well now you can,
using our WhatTheFont font recognition system. Upload a scanned
image of the font and instantly find the closest matches in
- Font Viewer Installer: This program is an easy to use but powerful font manager, which allows getting a quick overview of both installed and non installed fonts. It can install and uninstall fonts, and organize them in categories.
OK now you have built your site and you need to move it up onto the web. This llist will grow as we sift and sort through all the free ones available on the web.
- rcFTP: rcFTP stands for right click FTP. It's the easiest way of uploading files from your computer to an FTP server. After installing rcFTP you can rightclick on any file in your Windows Explorer, and choose Send To | Upload with rcFTP. It works fast and easy, without the need of a full blown FTP client like WS_FTP. It supports multiple file selections.
- FileZilla: FileZilla is a fast FTP and SFTP client for Windows with a lot of features. FileZilla Server is a reliable FTP server.
- AceFTP: Its cool, uncluttered drag-and-drop interface, designed in a Windows XP fashion, lets you transfer files quickly and efficiently and navigate with ease between folders, both on Web sites and on your computer.
- What is Spyware? (Comprehensive article explaining all about spyware and how it can infect your computer)
The following search and removal tools are all FREE download them and run them at least once a week to remove those nasties that enter your computer whilst you are using the internet:
- Spybot - Search & Destroy: Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove spyware of different kinds from your computer. Spyware is a relatively new kind of threat that common anti-virus applications do not yet cover. Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove a multitude of adware files and modules from your computer. Spybot can also clean program and Web-usage tracks from your system, which is especially useful if you share your computer.
- Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta): This program helps reduce negative effects caused by spyware including slow PC performance, annoying pop-up ads, unwanted changes to Internet settings, and unauthorized use of your private information. Continuous protection improves Internet browsing safety by guarding over fifty (50) ways spyware can enter your PC.
- Ad-Aware: This program is designed to provide advanced protection from known Data-mining, aggressive advertising, Parasites, Scumware, selected traditional Trojans, Dialers, Malware, Browser hijackers, and tracking components. With the release of Ad-Aware SE Personal edition, Lavasoft takes the fight against Spyware to the next level.
- CCleaner is a system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! )
- Ad Muncher: Ad Muncher removes adverts, popups and general browsing annoyances from all popular browsers as well as most banner displaying and popup generating programs like ICQ, Morpheus, Kazaa, Grokster, Opera, iMesh, Bearshare, LimeWire, etc.
Anti Virus Software:
What are Virus and Why should I Use Anti Virus Software? (Lots of information here)
- Avast! 4 Home Edition: is a full-featured antivirus package designed exclusively for home users and non-commercial use. "Our company offers the Home Edition free of charge, since, in our opinion, it is possible to avoid global virus spreading by efficient prevention; however, many user are not able to or do not want to pay for antivirus software."
AVG Free Edition
is available free-of-charge to home users! AVG Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only.
- Free-av.com – Protection and security against viruses, worms, Trojan horses and spyware, including dialers.
is an Online virus scanner
, now also offering online spyware scanning and removal.